At their Assembly in Brussels on 18-19 October 2013 , the member organisations of the Alter Summit decided, according to the principles affirmed in the Peoples’ Manifesto [http://www.altersummit.eu/manifeste/article/le-manifeste-66] launched in Athens [last Juny] , to organise actions as well as to support and strengthen actions initiated by network members in order to focus on three main targets :
- The TTIP or Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership now under negotiation, which seeks to establish a comprehensive free trade zone between the European Union and the United States of America. The TTIP would allow transnational corporations to impose their demands on States and to abolish democratic rights and rules.
- The Troika (the European Commission, European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund) and those governments that now impose austerity policies, including those of the TSCG or Treaty on Stability, Coordination and Governance. Forcing peoples into debt slavery, strangling national budgets and blocking or reducing salaries and social allowances can only worsen the crisis and destroy the European social model. That, in fact, is the real objective of the TSCG and of austerity.
- The rise of nationalist and right wing populist parties (and in some countries, neo-nazi organisations) as well as contamination of some traditional parties and governments with their ideas. We intend to contribute to a broad front against fascism. It is clear that austerity and the capitulation of States to transnational corporations and the finance industry are among the reasons for the rise of the extreme right.
In addition to opposing as a priority these three major adversaries, Alter Summit members will continue to exchange views and cooperate on all the common political demands set out in the Peoples Manifesto.
Various actions will probably take place on the occasion of the European Summit of 19-20 December, prior to the Greek Presidency from January to June 2014 and during the weeks leading up to the European parliamentary elections. Alter Summit organisations will thus endorse and strengthen all actions scheduled by network members, by the ETUC [European Trade Union Confederation] or by other movements or collectives that share our determination to
- refuse the Transatlantic Treaty
- force the Troika to retreat and put an end to austerity policies
- free Europe from the fascist threat
A press conference will be held on 18 December [to be confirmed ] to present and elaborate on our strategy and action programme.
- Blockupy Festival on 20-23th november in Frankfurt : http://blockupy.org/
- Alter Summit’s General Assembly, January/Febrary 2015